La Salle's CommuniCare Club is awarding $10,500 to six local nonprofits, as well as $632 to the school's dance team.
Club members raised funds to give away several ways. They collected bottles and cans, sold singing telegrams for Valentine’s Day, and sold snacks and Italian sodas at school dances long before the outbreak of COVID-19.
After the students raised $1,012, the CARE Foundation matched students' fundraising efforts 10:1. The result: La Salle students had $11,132 to award.
The 15 club members wanted to support organizations that provide resources for survivors of domestic and sexual abuse. After evaluating all the applicants, the club awarded grants to the following nonprofits:
- Janus Youth programs: "Strong Moms" program-$1,000
- Abuse Recovery Ministry and Services (ARMS): 15-week program for female abuse survivors-$2,000
- Bradley Angle: Resources for abuse survivors-$1,000
- Call to Safety: Additional crisis line-$3,000
- Children's Center: Counseling center/staff salaries-$2,500
- Ecumenical Ministries: Education and resources for females in the Russian community-$1,000