Counseling » FAQ: College Counseling

FAQ: College Counseling

Q: How can I see my counselor?
A: Send a Schoology message or email to your counselor to make an appointment. Counselors can also be reached by email or phone.
Q: How do I attend a college rep visit at La Salle?
A: Seniors and juniors (freshman/sophomores with counselor permission) can attend virtual college admissions rep visits. To attend, check the college visit schedule in SCOIR and RSVP for the visit. Zoom/virtual links will be sent before the visit. 
Q: What is the CEEB code for La Salle?
A: 380678

Q: What is the graduation class size for 2022?
A: 148
Q: Where can I find La Salle’s school profile?
A: The 2021-22 La Salle Profile will be posted in the fall of 2021.

Q: How do I send my transcripts to colleges?
A: Current seniors can request transcripts to be sent to colleges through their SCOIR account (see this link.) To have transcripts sent for scholarships, please email your counselor and included the name of the scholarship and the email or mailing address of the organization requesting the transcript. Please allow two weeks for the transcript request to be processed and sent. After graduation and for alums, please use the form here.

Q: What grading scale does La Salle use? 
A: 4.0 scale

Q: What is my rank in my graduating class?
A: La Salle does not rank students. Students can put "N/A" (not applicable). For military academy applications, see the Registrar for ranking information.

Q: When should I start applying to colleges?
A: See La Salle's steps to college applications here. A useful checklist can be found here. Students can begin completing college applications during the summer before senior year. Students can use their SCOIR account to explore colleges. Students can also create a Common App account during their junior year. See the Common App Info Sheet (Example: CEEB code, class size, etc.) for information used to complete the Common App.
Q: How many colleges should I apply to?
A: This depends on many factors. Talk with your counselor about building a solid list of schools--consider finances, majors, location, acceptance rates, etc. Here is a video on Building a Smart College List. Check out the video library in the Parents section of the website.
Q: What does it mean to be 'First Generation' for college applications, programs, or scholarships?
A: Though some programs may have specific requirements, 'first generation' typically means that neither of your parents has completed a four-year degree in the United States.
Q: What is the difference between Early Action (EA) and Early Decision (ED)?
A: Early decision (ED) plans are binding — a student who is accepted as an ED applicant must attend the college. Students must sign a form with their counselor noting that they understand this plan. Early action plans are nonbinding — students receive an early response to their application but do not have to commit to the college. More details can be found here.

Q: How do I write a good college essay?
A: Talk to your counselor and English teacher about your essays. There are many sites that will give you great ideas on how to write essays. Explore these resources: (Video, Article, Common App Prompts)

Q: I'm thinking about attending a Community College when I graduate. Where can I get information?
A: La Salle hosts college visits and instant admission days from many of the Oregon community colleges. Learn more about Clackamas Community College, Mt. Hood Community College, Portland Community College, and Central Oregon Community College. Talk with your counselor about other community college options.
Q: I am interested in taking a Gap year (a year between high school and college)? What are my options?
A: See the 2021 Gap Year Guide. It important that you have a plan with clear goals. It can be helpful to complete the college application process senior year, be admitted to a college, and follow the college's specific plan to defer. 
Q: Can I earn college credits for high school courses taken at La Salle?
A: Learn more about the courses at La Salle that can be taken for credit here. Speak with your counselor about other options that may be available.

SCOIR (pronounced score)
Q: What is Scoir?
A: Scoir is the program La Salle uses for students to explore colleges and careers, as well as to electronically send transcripts and letters of recommendation to colleges. See a short video here.
Q: How do I access my student Scoir account? Can a parent have an account?
A: Students can contact their counselor for an email invitation to Scoir (these expire after 72 hours and students must request a new invitation.) Parents can be added by their student to an account or they can contact their student's counselor to be added. This video shares the parent experience.
Q: How do I use Scoir?
A: Students can view this short video and check with their counselor for questions. 
Q: How can students see when a document has been sent to a college in Scoir?
A: From a computer or desktop version, students can go to the My college tab and open up the college tile and navigate to the very bottom of the page to see the date a document was sent.

Q: When students have documents submitted through Scoir, what do they see on their Common App? 
A: Students should add only the names of their counselor and/or teacher in Common App, but leave the email address blank. Common App does not connect to Scoir, so students will want to submit and track all recommendation requests in their Scoir accounts, where the up-to-date status of these requests and any other Scoir documents will be reported for them.

Note: Many colleges and universities will be test-optional for the 2020/21 school year. See a current list here.
Q: How do I sign up for the SAT/ACT exams? 
A: Visit SAT and ACT to see test dates and register for the exam. 
Q: How do I send my SAT or ACT scores to colleges?
A: Visit SAT and ACT to request your test scores to be sent directly to colleges or scholarships. Most colleges will only accept scores from the testing agencies. When students take an exam, they can list 4 colleges to have scores sent for free (schools can be added up to nine days after the exam); after nine days, students will need to pay an additional fee to send scores. If this presents a financial hardship, check with your counselor about options for sending scores.

Q: When should I take the SAT/ACT?
Note: Many colleges and universities will be test-optional for the 2020/21 school year. See a current list here.
A: Counselors typically recommend that most students take both the ACT and the SAT once during their junior year and then one of those exams, typically then one with the highest score, again as a senior if needed.

Q: How do I find out if I qualify for fee waivers for the SAT/ACT exams and college applications?
A: Learn more about SAT, ACT, Common App, and other fee waivers here.

Q: Where can I find out about SAT or ACT preparation classes?
A: See a list of test prep resources here
Q: How do I write a resume for a teacher, job, or application?
A: A resume is used to share your skills, accomplishments, and experience. See this video, this resource, and download a resume template.

Q: How do I request a letter of recommendation from my counselor?
A: See the steps here.
Please allow at least two weeks for a letter to be completed. 
Q: How do I request a letter of recommendation from my teacher?
A: See the steps here. Please allow at least two weeks for a letter to be completed. 
Q: How can I prepare for a visit to a college campus?
A: Here is a link to good resources for college visits.  Scroll down to the College Comparison Worksheet.  You could use it to track your impressions of the colleges you visit. Look to the right for the Campus Visit Checklist.  It gives suggestions of what to do and look for both formally and informally. Here is another useful guide to visits.


Q: How can I best prepare for a college interview?
A: Speak with your counselor about mock interview sessions offered at La Salle as well as other resources they can share.
Q: Where can I get more information about internships?
A: Check out La Salle's list of internships and summer opportunities
Q: How do I register with the NCAA or NAIA Eligibility Centers if I want to play sports in college?
A: For Division I or II schools, preferably by the end of junior year, students should register with the NCAA or NAIA

Q: How do I send my transcript to NCAA or NAIA?
A: Please email your counselor to request a transcript be sent to the NCAA or NAIA.

Q: What do I need to do to get financial aid?
A: The first step is completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or the ORSAA. (The ORSAA is an alternative to the FAFSA for undocumented Oregon students.) Students should then check directly with the specific colleges where they choose to apply. Other scholarship information can be found here.

Q: How can I get help filling out the FAFSA or ORSAA application?
A: La Salle hosts a FAFSA Workshop in the early fall to assist students and families. Students can also access the FAFSA Lab at Clackamas Community College. Your counselor can also help with FAFSA and ORSAA related questions. 

Q: Where can I learn about getting more money and scholarships for college?
A: Check with your counselor for more ways to find aid and see a list of scholarship opportunities here.  

Q: How can I compare the costs of the colleges I have been accepted to?
Q: How can I write an appeal letter to a college about my financial aid package? 
Q: How do I choose between colleges after I am accepted? 
A: You can use the Comparision Worksheet found in this google doc, check out this resource about Selecting a Financial Aid Package, and see this article about How to Decide Where to Attend. This is also a good presentation on Choosing with Confidence when Visiting (In-Person) Isn't an Option. You can visit campuses (again if needed), reach out to the Admissions office to ask to be connected with current students, and talk with your family and counselor for insights.