Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
'We understand that La Salle Prep has more to do'
Knowing that historic and structural racism have affected the field of education and students for years, La Salle strives to ensure that individuals from all backgrounds are served equitably at school.
Guided by the core Lasallian principles of Inclusive Community and Respect for All Persons, La Salle Prep has engaged in equity work to make our school community one that:
- Confronts racism and other forms of discrimination and oppression
- Celebrates everyone’s humanity
- Honors diversity
- Seeks equitable outcomes for all students
- Examines our own blind spots and biases in our work
The faculty and staff of La Salle are committed to this work, and, while we have taken the steps outlined below, we understand that La Salle Prep has more to do. We are grateful to the students, parents, community organizations, staff, and alumni who have engaged in this work with us and been part of our journey toward equity.
Steps taken so far
Since 2017, La Salle has enrolled three cohorts of administrators, faculty, and staff in a one-year certificate program in equity leadership with our partners at the Center for Equity and Inclusion, a consulting agency focused on advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts within organizations, education systems, and communities.
As of July 2020, La Salle has 13 CEI certified equity leaders on the school’s Equity Team. La Salle’s leadership team has provided, for three consecutive years, professional development in equity issues to all of La Salle’s faculty and staff.
In addition, La Salle mapped out a plan for students and staff to explore the following three school-wide themes as a community over three years:
- Understanding Identity (2017-18)
- Building Empathy (2018-19)
- Engaging in Dialogue (2019-20)
- Classroom discussions of equity
- Assemblies where students and staffers shared personal stories and experiences related to racial and gender injustice
- Support of students launching affinity organizations such as the Black Student Union, the Asian Pacific Islander Club and Unidos en Poder for Latinx students, the Equality Alliance
- Parent Equity meetings where family members shared stories, offered perspectives, and contributed to initiatives aimed at improving equitable outcomes for La Salle’s students of color
- New hire practices, with the goal of hiring for diversity, include expanding recruitment targets to attract a diverse applicant pool, reviewing job descriptions prior to posting to ensure equitable qualifications are stated, revising interview questions to reflect diversity in the workforce and a neutral review of applicant qualifications following a posting.
In addition, the school took these steps to fortify its staff to make it more inclusive and supportive of students of color:
- The addition, in 2019, of a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Support position to the staff to build community with students and serve as a support and advocate for students of color
Next steps: Learning and Growing
La Salle’s work to improve diversity, equity, inclusion, education, and awareness continues. Initiatives under way as of 2020 include:
- La Salle is developing a new Director of Equity and Inclusion position with the hope to hire in time for the 2020-21 school year. The person in this role will work to increase La Salle Prep’s diversity, support students of color, expand our community’s cultural competency, promote academic excellence, and prepare all students to engage equitably in an increasingly complex and global community.
- La Salle Equity leaders, parents, and students will work with our leadership team to create a school-wide Equity Statement and Equity Lens that will guide the development of diverse, anti-racist curriculum, direct the revision and creation of school policies and practices, steer institutional decision-making, and support students in their experiences at La Salle.
- La Salle will establish a Parent Equity Team and a Student Equity Advisory Committee that can provide ongoing perspective to school-wide equity issues.
La Salle Prep Anti-Discrimination Statement
La Salle Prep does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, physical or mental disabilities, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital or veteran status, on-the-job injuries or any other legally protected characteristic or status. Discrimination based upon any of these factors is inconsistent with our philosophy and will not be tolerated.
Furthermore, employees who believe that they have been discriminated against, or who witness or suspect any violation of this policy, must immediately contact either the Director of Human Resources or the President/Principal to report the unlawful practice.
All allegations of discrimination are taken seriously and will be investigated. Violators of this policy are subject to discipline, including immediate termination.
Retaliation for reporting discrimination or for participating in an investigation is strictly prohibited.
Individuals who intentionally make false reports of discrimination are subject to discipline, including termination of employment.
Let us remember that we are in the holy presence of God.
Benevolent God, creator of all people, we turn to you with hearts heavy with sadness.
Our world, the world you so lovely created is in great turmoil. Humanity is filled with anxiety as people of all faiths pray that the conflicts that exists between peoples of every race are resolved peacefully and without continued violence.
We are faced with the sin of racism, the health of our planet…the suffering of the poor…
the plight of those fleeing violence and persecution…
the hopelessness of our youth. May we join our efforts for the advancement of all humanity.
Together we pray that we can learn from past conflicts and not be people who seek revenge but be people of justice who seek peaceful and merciful resolutions as a response to acts of violence.
God of all people, grant us the zeal to confront the sin of racism in all its manifestations.
God of all that is good, grant us the courage to be a force for peace against the power of violence.
God of all that is life giving, grant us the wisdom to bring Your light into the darkness.
God of all that is just, grant us the hope of Jesus’ resurrection, to be people of love and forgiveness.
We pray this through the intercession of Mary our Mother who gifted the humanity of God to us. Amen.
Saint John Baptist de La Salle…pray for us
Live Jesus in our hearts…forever.