Kitchen, Menu, MealTime
La Salle's Kitchen
La Salle Prep recognizes that breaking bread together helps create community and comfort. Those of us in La Salle's kitchen see ourselves as teachers of nutrition as well as creators of healthy and appealing meals.
We are committed to socially responsible practices and educating our students and staff about how their food choices impact the environment, community, and their own well-being.
We show our care in our operations by:
- Cooking food from scratch; using fresh, local, seasonal ingredients.
- Taking our role in the community seriously by making responsible purchasing decisions.
- Serving great tasting, nutritious food - including vegetarian and wheat-free options.
- Providing opportunities for employees and volunteers to develop their potential and abilities in an encouraging, fair, and peaceful environment.
- Using "stealth nutrition" to camouflage healthy choices in everyday food preparations and to encourage our students to choose healthy dishes through ease of access and appealing presentation.
- Following USDA dietary guidelines in our portioning and nutritional values.
- Menus are seasonal and regional, featuring ingredients that are local, sustainable and organic.
- Healthy menu items are mainstream offerings.
- Vegetarian options are plentiful.
- Salsas, sauces, stocks, and soups are made from scratch.
- Cookies, muffins, and breads (when possible) are baked fresh daily.
- Salad Bar features organic produce and olive oil dressings made from scratch.
- Turkey breast and chicken are produced without the routine use of antibiotics.
- Hamburgers are ground chuck, and raised on vegetarian feed without antibiotics or hormones.
- Milk is free of antibiotics and artificial Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH).
- Soy milk and wheat-free options are available at all meals.
- Trans fats are not used in our kitchen.
- Wheat pasta and brown rice are regularly used in our menus.
- Proper portion sizes are used to encourage healthy eating habits.